- 10 Mar 2021
Professional Reference Check
- Updated on 10 Mar 2021
Our Professional Reference Check asks a candidate's reference a set of questions to give you valuable insight into your candidate’s previous work experience. These questions cover key areas that wouldn’t necessarily come across in an employment verification, such as how they work with others, communication skills, strengths and areas for improvement. We ask “open-ended” rather than “yes/no” questions to get the detailed info and perspective you need. Our reference check not only will help you understand the candidate better in terms of your hiring decision, but also will help you get off to a great start with onboarding and supporting that candidate should you move ahead.
Price is per unique reference, although you can add up to five Professional Reference Checks per candidate.
How It Works
Each Professional Reference Check conducts a live telephone interview with a single professional reference provided by the candidate, consisting of a series of standard questions relating to the reference’s experience working with or managing the candidate. The full written transcript of the interview will be made available to the employer in the final customer report.
- How do you know the candidate?
- Tell me about how the candidate works under stress.
- Please describe the candidate’s working relationships with peers and co-workers.
- To your knowledge, is the candidate reliable, honest, and trustworthy?
- Tell me about the candidate’s ability to communicate across teams. Please tell me about their written and oral communication skills.
- What would you say are the candidate’s strongest attributes?
- What would you say are the candidate’s primary areas for growth?
- Would you recommend the candidate for employment with another company? Why or why not?
- Is there anything else that you would like to add about the candidate we did not cover?
Professional Reference Checks can be added as an add-on to the Basic, Standard, and Premium Packages. You may add 1-5 references per order.
If the report has no alerts, and Reference Check results are ready to review, the report status is "Ready for Review".
Reference Check results are displayed within the Reference Check tab of the report.
The reference check section is returned as "Ready for Review" to allow the review of the reference's response. Click "Mark as Acceptable" if the results are acceptable.
If the contact refuses to provide a reference, or is unable to be contacted, the Reference Check results will be marked as "Alert".
Turnaround Times & Additional Fees
The turnaround time for the Professional Reference Check is typically 3 to 5 business days.
There are no additional fees required.
A Professional Reference Check does not include or constitute an official employment verification.
Once the candidate provides their reference's contact information, we will try to contact the reference 5 times over the course of 5 business days. If email is provided, an email is sent to the reference after the first and third contact attempts.