How do I dispute something on my background check?
  • 04 May 2021
  • Dark
  • PDF

How do I dispute something on my background check?

  • Dark
  • PDF

Article Summary

You can file a dispute for each inaccurate alert or record on the background check results. If all of the records are inaccurate due to the same reason, you can simply file one dispute—just be sure to clarify in your explanation that you are disputing all of the records.

Here’s how to file a dispute with GoodHire:

  1. Log in to view your background check results.
  2. Find the screen with the alert that you want to dispute.
  3. Click the link that says Click here if this record is not accurate.
  4. On the pop-up, click the link to File a dispute.
  5. On the next page, click the button to File a dispute.
  6. On the next page, you have the option of submitting the dispute online through the platform or offline with a dispute form. For the quickest submission, click the button to Provide your details online.
  7. On the next page, you’ll see the record you’re disputing. Scroll down to the bottom to provide the following information:
    a. What is your concern about this record? Select the option that best fits your situation.
    b. Explain your concern. Provide as much detail as you can, including why the record is inaccurate and what you think the background check t should say instead.
    c. Upload supporting documents. Provide supporting documents that back up your dispute. If you don’t have the supporting documents handy at this time, you can always upload them through the GoodHire platform later.
    d. How can we contact you? Give us your contact number so we can call if we have any questions.
  8. Click the button to File Dispute.

GoodHire will email you once your dispute is in the review process. We’ll contact you if additional information is needed -- otherwise, disputes are typically resolved within 30 calendar days.

YES, disputes can be filed online for:
  • Criminal Record Searches
  • Civil Record Searches
NO, disputes can’t be filed online for:
  • SSN Traces
  • Identity Verifications
  • Federal Bankruptcy Searches
  • Education, Employment, and Professional License Verifications
  • Professional Reference Check
  • Drug Screenings
  • Healthcare Sanctions
  • Motor Vehicle Record Searches
  • Employment Credit Reports
  • International Searches & Verifications
  • Ongoing Alerts

Was this article helpful?